I'm
not going to lie: during the first week on the plan, there were
points when I felt pretty hungry. I think this is down to a couple of
reasons – my stomach needed time to shrink to a size where proper
portion sizes are enough to fill it; and I should have eaten more
vegetables, as they really fill you up for barely any calories at all.
I knew that vegetables were low in calories, of course, but I didn't
quite realise how low. A spring onion is five calories, for goodness
sake! FIVE! I know that shouldn't be groundbreaking, but it's the
little things that count, I suppose. I bloody love spring onions. Watch out for sweetcorn and peas though - they might be a bit higher in calories than you might imagine.
Could you be the saddest snack in the world?
The lowest point of my week came on the Saturday night. Only four days
into the plan, and with my stomach not quite shrunk to the ideal size for my new portions, I decided to treat myself by creating my own 'cheesecake'
recipe with a couple of crushed up biscuits, a smidge of butter, low
fat soft cheese, yoghurt and fruit. (This wasn't the low point – it
was quite nice, actually.)
Because the cheesecake was 200 calories, I only had 112
calories left for snacks for the day. I'd eaten tea early, so I
became rather hungry later on. However, instead of choosing any of
the following delicious looking 100
calorie choices, I went for a contender for the world's saddest
snack. Brace yourselves.
Here it is.
Here it is.
| Look at it. Pathetic. |
Just a sweet potato. On its own. That was my snack. Sigh. I suppose I did put salt on it so that sort of makes two ingredients, at least.
The
rest of the food that I prepared for myself was nutritious and
delicious, though, and within just a few days my stomach stopped
growling so much and I started to feel more energetic. By the start
of week two, I'm beginning to feel full before I've used up all of my
calories for the day – which means I'm able to have a couple of vodka and diet cokes (55 calories! Hello!) without feeling like I'm starving myself! Hooray!
Here
are a few of the meals and snacks that I've made for myself this week. If any take your fancy, just let me know and I'll point you in the direction of the recipe :-)
| Cheesy blueberry crackers. 280 calories |
| Forest fruit cheesecakes, 198 calories each |
| No-fry fry-up, 413 calories |
| Brilliant banana bagels, 284 calories |
| Veggie cobbler with scones, 405 calories per portion (there are four portions here) |
SUPER DUPER TIP OF THE WEEK
Buy
a small plate. Seriously. This is a meal that I made last night,
which on our bigger plates would look like a normal portion, but on
here looks like a huge pile of food.
Using a smaller plate has really made a difference to my attitude to portion sizes. I
know that I'm eating from a smaller plate, but I still really feel
like I have more food than when I eat from a large one. I can't
explain it, but it works. The human brain is a strange thing! I picked up this plate for about 30p from the charity shop down the
road – so even if the plate thing doesn't work for you, at least you
don't need to have spent a fortune on trying it!
Next week, I'll let you know how I get on with my first forays into exercise in rather a long while...
Thanks for reading! :-)
Hehe. Brilliant! You are funny. And skinny. Keep making with the funnies, dey make-a me laff!
ReplyDelete